Monday 30 June 2014

Looking for a Lifeline for Abiodun Onadeko


Chiemelie Ezeobi writes that 34-year-old Abiodun Onadeko desperately needs N6 million to enable him get a kidney transplant and restart life anew


After graduating with honours in Agric Economics from the University of Ilorin a few years back, Abiodun Onadeko had high hope of using his skill to help turn around Agro-service industry in Nigeria. But now that dream is threatened by kidney disease.
To survive it, Onadeko who is suffering from an end stage kidney disease requires N6 million for a kidney transplant. As a former manager in a small fish farm in Lagos, he can barely shoulder the burden of raising the fund alone.



Onadeko told THISDAY how it all started. "I went to visit a doctor in September last year and he confirmed that my blood pressure was high, so he placed me on medication. One day, I started vomiting and I went to Isolo General Hospital where I was advised to go to Gbagada General Hospital to see experts.
"There, they said I should do dialysis. We found out my cretin and urea didn't regularise. It was then it was discovered that I have chronic renal disease, which is at the end stage. This means that it has gone to a worse state.


"The solution is to go for a transplant. I have been running helter skelter to raise fund. Unfortunately, I don't have a job now but I used to have before this ailment struck,” he said with tears.
He added: "Now, I have been running everywhere to raise money because the dialysis has been expensive. It has not been easy. I am supposed to go for dialysis session twice a week. Sometimes I won't be able to raise the money and I would skip it until I raise the money.
"After each dialysis, I go out to beg to raise money for another session. Sometimes, I go to churches to beg. As at now, I don't have any money to go for the kidney transplant. The little money I have raised is used up for drugs and dialysis.

"Currently, I need N6million for treatment and this includes the cost of treatment, transportation, accommodation and other exigencies. Fortunately, we have seen a donor, what remains now is the money to commence operation at the Columbia Asia Hospital in India."
According to the CEO, Beryl Properties, Ms Biola Afolayan, one of the reasons why they are appealing to the public for help is for Onadeko to find succour.


She said: "I am gathering support to save Abiodun Onadeko, a graduate of Agric Economics from the University of Ilorin who is suffering from an end stage kidney disease.
"Onadeko has just a sibling who is a primary school teacher in Ibadan, his mum is late and his dad is about 81-year-old. He was diagnosed in October last year and since then through the mercy of God, a couple of his friends and churches have been supporting him financially through dialysis which usually costs between N25,000 and N38, 200 per week when he also needs to take blood.


"Aside the fact that this amount has been heavy for the people presently assisting him, Onadeko eventually needs a transplant which would cost $18, 000 (estimates from a hospital in India). Inclusive of transportation, accommodation and prescribed drugs, his India trip would cost about N6million.
"He needs help. He needs his life supported weekly and a kidney transplant eventually. He wants to live. I pray that Almighty God would touch your heart to do something for him. You can help as an individual or get a corporate organisation.


According to Wikipedia, renal failure or kidney failure or insufficiency is a medical condition in which the kidneys fail to adequately filter waste products from the blood.
There are two main forms which include; acute kidney injury (which is often reversible with adequate treatment) and chronic kidney disease (which is often not reversible).


Medical science has since proven that renal failure is mainly determined by a decrease in glomerular filtration rate, which is the rate at which blood is filtered in the glomeruli of the kidney, and is detected, by a decrease in or absence of urine production or determination of waste products (creatinine or urea) in the blood.

Symptoms to look out for vary from person to person but the common symptoms to look out for are high levels of urea in the blood (which can result to vomiting or diarrhea and may lead to dehydration), nausea, weight loss, nocturnal urination, blood in the urine, pressure or difficulty urinating, itching, bone damage, muscle cramps abnormal heart rhythms, muscle paralysis, shortness of breath, swelling of legs, ankles and feet and pain in the back or side.

Other symptoms include, tiredness, memory problems, difficulty concentrating, dizziness, low blood pressure, difficulty sleeping, darkening of skin, loss of appetite and weight loss, amongst several others.

Onadeko can be reached on 08060785895 or the needed funds sent to his Fidelity Bank account- Abiodun Onadeko; 6234276445.
Although hope lingers in the horizon for Onadeko, he takes solace in the fact that Nigerians are their brother's keeper and would rise to his aid to provide the needed funds to save the life of the once vibrant young man.


Quote: After each dialysis, I go out to beg to raise money for another session. Sometimes, I go to the churches to beg. As at now, I don't have any money to go for the kidney transplant. The little money I have raised is used up for drugs and dialysis

No comments:

Post a Comment